The boys are back and they want to introduce the newest members of our family!
Meet Dumbledore (left) and Severus (right) our new guinea pigs. The boys are in love and I must admit, they are super lovely and I may be a little bit too! Leo picked the name Dumbledore and Riley liked the name Gingerbread but as he was black decided to change to it to Severus to match! They are now almost 14 weeks old and have been with us for almost two weeks. They are settling really well. We have been handling them quite a bit so they get used to us and Dumbledore is getting much more confident now. Severus is a little more timid but enjoys a really good cuddle!
The boys have a few top tips if you are thinking of getting guinea pigs as they make great pets for little ones –
1) They don’t like being on their own so you want to get at least two (note from Mum – matching sexes or a female with a neutered male to prevent unwanted babies!) And make sure the cage or hutch you get is big enough for them both as they grow
2) They can’t produce vitamin C so we have drops to put in their water
3) You have to give them a good supply of straw to eat so their tummies don’t get poorly
4) They like cuddles and to make them feel safe you put your hand under their bum and one hand around their tummy under their arms. Then you hold them close to you
5) They like to run in tunnels and play games. Then they can have treats
6) We have got claw clippers so their nails don’t get too long
7) They like to run around outside so you should get them a run so they can play
8) Cats don’t like guinea pigs so you shouldn’t get them if you have a cat
9) They can live inside or outside but you should bring them inside when it’s really cold
10) They are the best pets ever and ours are the cutest!
So that’s their advice for if you are looking at getting a pet for your children. The boys will be back with updates on how Dumbledore and Severus are getting on I’m sure so keep your eyes peeled!