So this week the #maSTOMAchef choice of ingredient was up to me! I decided to choose quinoa. It is something I have wanted to try for a while and thought this was the perfect opportunity.
I had heard it was similar to a risotto rice so decided to make a garlic mushroom quinoa dish. Mushrooms can be hit or miss for ostomates. I generally do well with them as long as I chew really well, although I still get a few chunks come out occasionally! For things like bolognaise I chop them up super small so they don’t cause any issues.
Garlic Mushroom Quinoa
- 150g dried quinoa
- 3 large mushrooms
- 4 large garlic cloves
- Half a teaspoon of mixed herbs
- Chicken stock pot
How I Made It
- First I cooked the quinoa according to the pack intructions (rinse, place in saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil and then simmer for around twenty minutyes until see through). I also added a chicken stock pot into the water before I cooked it for extra flavour
- Peel and thinly slice three large, flat mushrooms
- Mince the garlic
- Take a frying pan and spray in some oil (I use fry-light but you could also use a little drizzle of olive oil)
- Cook the mushrooms and garlic with the mixed herbs in the frying pan
- Drain the quinoa and stir through the mushrooms and garlic once cooked
- Serve with a sprinkling of grated cheese and enjoy!
This amount made two portions, I ate one and froze another to use in the future. And the verdict? Well the show girls will tell you how much I gushed over this when I made it! It was absolutely delicious! I am a big risotto fan and can see why people find similarities although the quinoa is slightly ‘cleaner’ tasting and there wasn’t so much of a creamy sauce as I didn’t stir the cheese in. Using the stock pot was a great tip from my fellow blogger Stephie over at http://www.colitistoostomy.com too as it could be quite flavourless without this.
I can highly recommend this one to you all, please let me know if you give it a go and what you think!