This is a super easy and delicious recipe, perfect for midweek. I made it for myself and had plenty left over which I froze for future meals. This is a great idea for when you are chronically ill. When I am having a bad day, it is great to know I have a freezer full of delicious meals which just need defrosting and heating, rather than having to cook a meal from scratch. It is also a good way of saving money and saving on waste.
Cheese, Bacon and Spring Onion Potato Pie
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into similar sized chunks
- Grated cheese
- Bunch of spring onions
- Pack of diced bacon
- Generous pinch of paprika
- One egg
What You Need To Do
- First, put your cut up potatoes in a pan of boiling water and boil for around twenty minutes
- Meanwhile, chop your spring onions and place in a frying pan with the diced bacon. Fry off until the bacon is browned and the spring onions are softened
- Once the potatoes are soft, drain them and roughly mash them
- Add a spoonful of butter and a splash of milk and mash into the potatoes. Stir in the egg, a large handful of grated cheese, paprika, spring onions and diced bacon
- Place in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle another handful of cheese on top
- Place in a preheated oven (electric fan 170 degrees) and cook for around 30 minutes until the cheese is golden
I served mine with some tinned spaghetti hoops. Baked beans would go well as well but can be a bit risky with an ostomy. If you have high output from your ostomy mashed potato is great to help thicken it up, so this would be perfect for that too. Really easy, simple but very tasty! Let me know if you make it and what you think in the comments below!