Recipe – Cheesy Brussel Sprout Bake – Seasonal (Jan)
Posted on January 9, 2019
Leave a Comment
So, I have a confession. Mum – you are going to love this! My name is Natalie and I recently became a brussel sprout convert. I have hated these little green fart cabbages (my affectionate nickname) for my whole life. It has always been a rule that I have at least two on my plate every Christmas. A rule made by my mum who LOVES them! Lately, I have tried them on a pizza in Pizza Express and from that came this recipe which I made for my tea on Monday. With all the cheese it isn’t exactly diet worthy, but it certainly gave me fruit and veg intake a boost!
Eating In Season
I have decided that this year I would like to post a recipe every month using something that is in season in the UK. Vegetables and fruits that are in season are generally tastier and cheaper. This makes it the perfect time to try something you wouldn’t normally, as it will be at it’s best!
In Season In January
- Brussel Sprouts
- Jerusalem Artichokes
- Spring Greens
- Spring Onions
This list is full of some of my winter staples and perfect for your stews and casseroles which are so comforting at his time of year. What is your favourite from the list? What have you never tried? Let me know in the comments below!
Recipe – Cheesy Brussel Sprout Bake
What You Will Need
- 2 shallots
- Brussel Sprouts
- Small pack of bacon lardons
- Grated cheese (I used Parmesan)
- Tub of Philadelphia style cheese spread
- Knob of butter
How To Make It
- Pop the bacon lardons in a pan and cook until crispy
- Prep your sprouts by cutting off the bottom and removing the outside leaves
- Dice the shallots. As an ostomate, onions can be tricky so I use my handy chopper to make sure they get really small. Mine is years old but I have recently seen them being sold in Asda for just £6. They are also really handy if you have arthritis, as they are a lot less stressful than chopping with a knife on your hands
- Once the bacon is cooked pop it onto some kitchen roll on the side. Add the butter, shallots and sprouts to the pan and cook for around 8 to 10 minutes
- Pop the sprout mixture into a baking dish and add the bacon and around half of the packet of soft cheese. This is the one I used (note – the light version!). I didn’t use any extra herbs because of this being flavoured, but I think if you used a plain one, adding some cayenne pepper would be lovely!
- Sprinkle some cheese on top and pop into the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden (gas mark 5, preheat the oven before starting)
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I think my mum is going to fall over when she reads this, but it really was yummy! I look forward to next month and a new, in season, recipe. Please let me know if you give this a try and like my idea.
Category: Blog Posts, RecipesTags: brussel, cheese, easy, Family friendly, in season, produce, Recipes, seasonal, sprouts, uk, Vegetables