Today I didn’t have a traditional Sunday Roast, I really fancied a chilli. I cooked it from scratch and shared on Instagram and people asked for the recipe I had used so here goes!
Approx 300g minced beef
Five large mushrooms, diced (as an ostomate I have to cut these really small so they don’t affect my stoma but it’s also good for if you have picky kids – mine ‘dont like’ mushrooms but I put them in all sorts and they always eat it!)
Red pepper, diced
Large onion (I used two as they were small), diced
Two cloves of garlic, minced
Can of chopped tomatoes
Two tbsps tomato puree
1 tsp cumin
A cup of beef stock
You can also add a can of red kidney beans – I didn’t as my stoma doesn’t like them!
How To Make It
- Spray a large saucepan with spray oil and brown the mince
- After tipping off any excess fat, add the onion and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until softened
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock, tomato puree, pepper, mushrooms, chilli powder, cumin and red kidney beans (if using). Reduce to a simmer, stir and cook for 15-20 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste, stir and serve
- I served with tortilla chips and a sour cream and chive dip but you could also serve with white rice or over baked potatoes
This has made two decent sized portions and I’ve saved the rest to have with a jacket potato tomorrow. You could easily increase the amount of mince to 500g without having to change the sauce ingredients to make this a family sized meal, you could also bulk it out with more veggies.
What did you have for Sunday dinner today? A traditional roast or something a bit different? Let me know in the comments below,