This month on The IBD & Ostomy Support Show we are doing a #maSTOMAchef challenge (see what we did there?!) to coincide with food month. Every week one of us picks an ingredient which we haven’t tried before and we all have to cook and share a recipe with it in. This week Steve #bagdaddy picked ASPARAGUS.
I absolutely love asparagus and decided to share this recipe which I have made a couple of times now. It went down brilliantly, not just with me but the boys when they had it too. As my kids can be fussy, this automatically produces a hit in my book!
Just to warn you, this is the first time I have written a recipe down and I am a bit of a throw it in and hope for the best kind of cook. I don’t generally measure things out exactly so have tried to give approximate quantities but please forgive me if I haven’t explained it very well!
Creamy Spring Tortellini
- Pack of asparagus (approx 8-10 stems)
- Two large cloves of garlic, chopped
- Half an onion, chopped (Ostomy TIP – Chop your onion into really small pieces to help prevent problems with blockages)
- Large handful of peas
- Packet of three cheese tortellini
- Black Pepper
- Packet of bacon lardons
- 240ml double cream
- Handful of grated parmesan
How To Make It
- Cook tortellini and set aside
- Fry bacon lardons and set aside
- Saute onions until transparent
- Add the asparagus and peas. Saute until the asparagus is soft. Press in the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Mix and cook for another five minutes
- Pour in the double cream while stirring. Add the parmesan and keep stirring until the cheese has melted. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir in the tortellini and bacon and serve! You can sprinkle on some grated parmesan at this point if desired.
This recipe is super simple to make and does not take long at all. I had a portion left over after feeding me and the boys which went into the freezer. I always freeze my leftovers as they are invaluable on a busy or a poorly day. This was reheated and with a sprinkle of cheese was enjoyed a second time around by the boys for a weekday tea.
Please let me know what you think in the comments below if you have a go at this one. I hope you like it!